Continental, a prominent automotive technology company, has introduced the “Face Authentication Display,” an innovative two-step access control system incorporating advanced biometric user recognition. This system utilises sophisticated camera technology discreetly positioned behind both the B-pillar externally and invisibly behind the driver display console. With capabilities such as secure start and digital payment functions, the biometric face authentication allows the vehicle to open and start when a registered user is identified.
1. Invisible Integration: Continental strategically places the required camera technology behind the driver display console to maintain the vehicle’s interior design, resulting in a frameless screen surface. The OLED display, with high contrast and brightness, adapts to detect individuals through the activated display pixels.
2. Enhanced Security: Liveness detection from trinamiX, a biometric solutions provider, adds an extra layer of security by reliably identifying attempted deception. The facial authentication in the B-pillar enables keyless entry, allowing the driver’s door to open without a physical key.
3. Double Authentication: The combination of facial recognition inside and outside the vehicle enhances security, safeguarding against theft and facilitating controlled access for various family members.
4. Exterior Display Integration: Continental introduces an additional display seamlessly integrated into the B-pillar, providing interaction options with the vehicle. This display, visible only when in use, enables users to monitor charging progress in electric vehicles and seamlessly complements the exterior design.
5. trinamiX Technology: The biometric facial recognition technology developed by trinamiX differentiates real skin from other materials, bolstering security by preventing unauthorized access using replicated masks or AI-generated images.
Dr. Boris Mergell, Head of User Experience (UX) at Continental Automotive, underscores the importance of aesthetic appeal alongside functional and technical aspects. The technology ensures both convenience and safety functions without compromising the vehicle’s visual aesthetics during use.
Continental’s groundbreaking concept extends beyond the interior, incorporating the “In2Visible” technology into vehicle exteriors for the first time. This logical progression allows for intuitive interaction options and additional safety features, enhancing the overall user experience for both vehicle manufacturers and end-users.
Wilfried Hermes, Director of Consumer Electronics, North America, and Europe at trinamiX, highlights the collaboration’s aim to enhance existing driver monitoring systems for better interaction between the driver and the vehicle.
Continental’s Face Authentication Display signifies a revolutionary advancement in secure and user-friendly vehicle access and interaction, setting a new standard in the automotive industry.